How to Learn Web Designing at Home?
Website design and development has become one of the most lucrative businesses out there. Although there is already a steady emergence of website builders, companies would still want to hire a bonafide web designer to create a webpage for them.
That being said, if you want to become a web designer yourself, read on to find out how you can become one at the comfort of your own home.
Before I start, I just want to make a clear distinction here. Oftentimes, people use the terms “web designer” and “web developer” interchangeably. Even though they are used in that way, they have their own distinctions.
Web designers are primarily in charge of the aesthetics and the overall design of a website. In other words, they handle the frontend development of a website.
The web developer, on the other hand, is the one that provides the structure of the website. They handle all of the backend stuff including the use of programming languages such as HTML and CSS and providing the necessary lines of code that are required for the website to run and function.
With that out of the way, how do you learn web designing at home?
Master the Necessary Skills
For you to become a web designer, you must master a few of the necessary skills such as:
- Principles of Color- Read up on color psychology to find out which colors best suit the message your brand’s trying to convey
- Layout Design- This is the fundamental aspects of web design. This entails how you present certain graphical elements on your site
- Interaction Design- This teaches you how to incorporate interactive elements to your website. By knowing what things to implement, you will find that more and more people will appreciate spending their time on your website.
- Programming Languages- Although web designers need not know the nitty-gritty when it comes to programming languages used in the creation of a website, but it is still quite helpful to know about them. I highly suggest that you start with both HTML and CSS
The Five Pillars of Web Design
As with any discipline, there are also five pillars of web design. They are the Layout, Graphics, Font, Content, and Color.
- Layout- This is how you present the graphical elements on your website
- Graphics- Pertains to anything that adds to the overall aesthetics of your site. This includes images, videos, animations, scroll effects, among others
- Font- The typefaces or typography that you will use
- Content- This is any written article that is found on your website. Can also refer to videos as well.
- Color- The palette and the color scheme.
Learn from Various Resources
The good news for today’s web designers is that there is literally plenty of resources that you can tap in order for you to learn more about web designing.
If you want some online courses, I highly recommend that you visit Lynda or Udemy. For books, I suggest HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites and Learning Web Design: A beginner’s guide.